Tuesday, December 02, 2008
8:14 PM
How does one deal with generation gaps?
Sometimes that is possibly the root of all evil.
Everyday I'm reminded of my reason to stay as far away from here as possible, my reason to want to build my career, settle down and do whatever else, anywhere but here. Reasons may be really simple stuff but it's the accumulation that matters and the thought of having to live with it for the rest of my life. I've been given ample time to reflect on the past year, the past few years, the current year. And sometimes I pause to the realization that I don't think I really know what I want yet. Safe to say, I'm still on this journey that's taking me to, hopefully, somewhere where I feel belonged, acknowledged, appreciated and accepted. I really hope it's human nature to want and appreciate acknowledgment and a sense of belonging and that it's not just me. And really I don't think it's that hard to appreciate someone, not just for their presence in your life but the impact they have made, bad or good. I've always wondered why Esteem was part of Maslow's hierarchy as a child. Many years later, especially at this point in time, I realize the importance of respect not just for others, but by others and not just people important to you, but people important to the person who's important to you. It's not a demand, and I probably wouldn't die without it but it just makes the whole functioning better. After all, it's not that hard to do. And it doesn't cost a cent.
Who's to say what's right and what's wrong? Not everything has to be in black and white. Flexibility is the key to many things. I'm not expecting the world at large to agree with everything I say because I know and I understand that opinions are precisely that, individualistic. But am I wrong to say it is important to give and take? And that it is only fair to give as much as you take, or better yet, if within your means and patience, to give more than you take? Again I don't know where this is taking me to. But I hope it will be for the better. I don't see a relationship as limited to just the parties involved regardless of age. Is it any wonder you don't feel the way I do? It is the culture that I've been brought up in that makes me see it differently. It's like broken pieces of a puzzle. Everything is laid out before you, before us, before everyone, nothing is missing, nothing is short, all that's needed is a bit of patience and time as with all other things.
Sometime it's so difficult just existing. How do you please two at the same time? How do you please another at your own expense? Or please yourself at the other's expense? I choose to take this in my stride and constantly reassure and remind myself that everything will work out fine if it's wanted badly enough. That may be so only if you're fighting for it with someone else. Being solo doesn't help all the time, especially if you're fighting for something that is shared.
The frustration is greater when problems obviously exist but yet it has been chosen to be ignored. Yes ignorance is bliss but not when you know the effects of ignoring ultimately falls upon yourself and not anyone else. Money can buy you anything but solutions to problems that requires your conscious decisions. Who doesn't know, it is so convenient to just brush it under the carpet? But keep questioning yourself, is it worth your while? Especially if you've lived more than half your life span? Sometimes I think the parental units are too nice to people outside of this household.
I've washed my hair wet and I'm in this on my own free will. I'm not ready to give up just yet because I know for a fact there's still lots ahead for you, for me, for us, for everyone and I know above all, you're still loved. That is one thing I haven't lost, for sure.
8 speakout(s):
(: you write really well, chen!!!
hope things get better for u & u find a way to, and resolve any problems or obstacles you're facing (:
Hey Viv. Thanks. Had to get it out of ze system. :)
i'm still waiting to see you. I've seen your sister your brother in law but not you! :(
hey chen. nice post..
i guess family really is just family, at the end of the day. it's really heartening to see you trying to take it all in stride, and perseverance shines through regardless of the obstacles in place.
it'll all be worth it in the end.
right there with ya.
hey chennnies
seems like everyones not too happy being back home ): family can be such a pain. i hope everything gets sorted out to a happier degree.. take care (:
OMG OMG OMG !!!!! I feel the same way too. I'm so not happy back home. i don't know why but i just feel the to be annoyed.....sigh......
OMG OMG OMG !!!!! I feel the same way too. I'm so not happy back home. i don't know why but i just feel the to be annoyed.....sigh......
looks like we're all in the same boat.
It's a bit scary how all of us are feeling sort of similar. Hope things are looking up for you guys as it is for me. :)
comments, thank you.